Statesboro Landmark Coloring Pages
Statesboro Landmarks Coloring Page
Looking for a few extra activities while the kids are at home? If you have a printer, feel free to click on any of these images for a printable PDF coloring page. There are also facts and summaries of each landmark you can use to teach your kids a little something about Statesboro.
The first coloring page is all of the landmarks combined and based on a vintage-style print available at the Statesboro Convention & Visitors Bureau.
Averitt Center for the Arts
This beautiful building, constructed in 1911, was originally the Bank of Statesboro. Sadly, the bank closed down in 1932 after it could not recover from a “run on the bank” during the Great Depression.
The City bought the building in 1997 after decades of various uses and they established a community arts center for the downtown area.
The Averitt Center for the Arts has been very careful to upkeep the historical integrity of the building, and the old Bank of Statesboro now contains art galleries, visual and performing arts studios, classrooms, and office space.
Bulloch County Courthouse
The centerpiece of downtown Statesboro is the Bulloch County Courthouse. The courthouse was deliberately placed at a high point to permanently make it the most prominent landmark around. The commercial hub of the city developed around the courthouse square.
The courthouse was built in 1894 and renovated in 1914. Since then it’s been renovated several times using many different colors of brick. It was eventually completely coated in white plaster until the county commission decided to restore the courthouse to it’s original look by removing some of the plaster and painting over the rest. The courthouse is still in use today!
Eagle Nation on Parade
Eagle Nation On Parade is a public art project that salutes the University’s traditions, celebrates the unity of campus and community, contributes to the economic vitality and quality of life in Statesboro, and supports student scholarships and research.
These eagles can be seen all over Statesboro, each painted with a different theme. Create your own theme on this eagle!
For more information on Eagle Nation on Parade CLICK HERE
Emma Kelly Theater
Originally called the Georgia Theater, it was constructed in 1936 in the Art Deco style, reflecting the glamour of Hollywood. It was among the first of its kind to offer air conditioning and steam heat, as well as a coffee shop in the library.
The theater was operated as a movie theater until the 1970s, previewing movies such as Gone With The Wind in 1940.
In 1997, the City of Statesboro purchased the building for renovation as part of the Averitt Center project.
It was decided the theater would be named after local legend Emma Kelly, the “Lady of 6000” songs. She was dubbed this title by songwriter Johnny Mercer. Kelly sang for many U.S. Presidents and appeared in John Berendt’s ‘Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.’
Allen E. Paulson Stadium
Paulson Stadium is the 25,000 seat home of the Georgia Southern Eagles Football team. It completed construction in 1984 and coined “The Prettiest Little Stadium in America” by legendary Coach Erk Russell. It has also become known as “Our House” by Eagles fans.
The stadium was named after the founder and owner of Gulfstream Aerospace, Allen E. Paulson, who donated $1 million to the project. A $10 million renovation was completed in 2014.
Fun Fact: The first touchdown in Paulson Stadium is credited to Tracy Ham (quarterback) after a 36 yard run in September of 1984.
City Hall / Historic Jaeckel Hotel
The current City Hall was once the social center of town. In 1905, the Jaeckel Hotel opened its doors to the booming tourist city. The hotel was constructed by local architect AJ Franklin for Berlin–native Gustave Jaeckel.
The first floor of the hotel contained a grand dining hall and gentlemen and ladies parlors. The porch on the second floor once sported a garden and canvas cover for use in the warm months.
The hotel played host to many guests like: Henry Ford, William Jennings Bryan, former Secretary of State; Blind Willie McTell who played countless songs on the hotel steps, and Cornelius Vanderbilt in 1935.
In 1994, the city purchased the hotel, and after a $1.5 million renovation, readapted it to become City Hall. The historic character of the Jaeckel is still present in the building and the old neon sign for the hotel hangs on the east side.